Olympus OM-10

October 8th 2009katie

Old Olympuses (Olympi?)
Since I got my Olympus E-P1, I’ve been trying to actually learn how to use it properly, and I thought a good way to learn would be to get an old SLR and learn everything the old-skool way. To that end I bought an 1980s Olympus OM10 (only £10 on eBay), and have been steadily amassing a small collection of lenses to play with. The bonus is all the lenses can also be used on my E-P1 with an adapter so it’s a pretty cost-effective way of trying some new things out.

Here are some snaps from my first two rolls with the OM10:

Letterpress

Letterpress
These are from the Maker Difference Pop-up Letterpress Studio in Carnaby. They have a real old-skool letterpress setup going on, and were also running workshops (sadly they filled up before I could book).

Screen on the Green
My local cinema – I love how retro it looks, and it’s lovely and plush inside, too.

Borough Market - veg

Borough Market - cheez

Borough Market - olives
Some snaps from the always-photogenic Borough Market

OM-10: Clissold Park
Clissold Park up in my old neck of the woods, Stoke Newington. Definitely turning to autumn by the look of the leaves.

OM-10: sofa
Sofa outside a junk shop on Brick Lane

Finally here are a couple of pics from the E-P1 with an old Olympus 50mm f1.8 lens. I like this lens so much it’s become my default. I like how it makes the digital photos look more filmic, and it’s very good for indoors low-light shots.

poised to pounce

Yoni macro

• Milly

October 8th 2009 at 10:45 am

Love the cinema photo!

• smurfpop

October 8th 2009 at 12:56 pm

Wow, they look so vivid and crisp! :D Oh, and if the Screen is your local, then you're not far from me either, haha! x

• katie

October 8th 2009 at 1:47 pm

smurfpop – I'm just the other side of the green, behind Tesco!

• Timothy Long

October 8th 2009 at 5:45 pm

Very vivid images, Katie! Really appreciating the marketplace ones.

• Kate

October 8th 2009 at 8:26 pm

Wow these pics are stunning! i have an old manual 50mm f/1.8 that i can use on my D60, love it!

• Caroline

October 8th 2009 at 8:41 pm

I loved my OM10 (I had a OM20 too) – took me through foundation and art school and most of my twenties. Finally gave into a Mju and have only just got my SLR mojo back by buying a digital Canon one – but nothing beats 'proper' 35mm film :)
    We are about to list a whole load of old Olympus stuff over the weekend – look for 'natmum' listings from monday on ebay(.co.uk)

• Huma

October 9th 2009 at 5:26 pm

Really lovely photos – such a great eye!
    Huma x

• Marc Sutton

December 31st 2009 at 4:39 pm

Really like your photos, Me an my sister are also in love with Olympus cameras, we have a OM, OM 40, XA and mju 2

You can check out some of photos from Borough market too on http://yoshisha.blogspot.com/

• Shukura Li

June 14th 2010 at 10:54 am

I have the olympus om 10 too
    do you have the manual adapter?

• katie

June 14th 2010 at 1:54 pm

Hi Shukura Li – no i don't have the manual adapter, don't feel like i need it as i usually shoot aperture-priority mode anyway.

• Shukura

June 17th 2010 at 11:41 pm

i have the olympus om 10 u should get the manual adapter too

im trying to get my hands on azoom lens

isnt it a gr8 camera! im in love
    and the pictures you took on it are lovely type of colour film did u buy because i usually use black and white

• Shukura Li

August 24th 2010 at 2:28 am

really thats weird i find that when i use it with the manual adapter i have alot more control over the aperture =s

x

• Anonymous

September 27th 2010 at 10:57 am

My ol' paint, a Praktica Nove B, was feeling the years as a press-hack and following it's new owner, me, to all the muddy or dusty mx-meets, and was retired, to be replaced with a year-old ex-press-hack Olympus OM10. It came with a manual adapter and the standard 50mm 1.8 lens had a friend, a totally unused Zuiko 70-150mm. Unfortunately, the camera was not accompanied by a motordrive, he was going to use that on his new camera. At least I got the leather case, he had no use for it with the drive fitted.

The OM is possibly one of the best cameras ever made, in my view. And I now have Nikon EM, Weist SL-35, Canon F1, and Yashica FX-2 SLR's to compare with. I was in a local pawnbrokers to check a flash unit out when the guy told me the OM I had around my neck was the most popular camera on the market, he had a dozen standing-orders for them, especially the latter version I had, with the improved shutter. He made me an offer there and then.

Never!

It's an annoying camera, though. Several 'arty' shots were ruined by the camera. Interior shot of a car instrument panel, black leather, total darkness except for the fancy instrument panel lighting. Great shot, 1.8 at one second. Six seconds later the camera's brain decided the shot was exposed correctly – and closed the shutter!

It was a shakey shot, hard to hold a camera still for so long, not understanding what was happening! But it was perfectly exposed. My eyes couldn't see the foot-pedals in the darkness, but there they were in the photo…. perfectly exposed.

That's what the manual adapter is for, I think. I've never actually used it.

That's why the camera I always first reach for is the Nikon EM. For, not only does it have a motordrive, but a very usable 35-70 zoom.

But it's only my most used camera until I can find a motordrive and zoom for the OM10.

• M

January 4th 2012 at 7:39 am

Nice pictures!!! What lens are you using with Olympus OM10?