Japanese cooking class

January 27th 2010katie

Ever since getting back from Japan, one of the (many) things I’ve been pining for is the food. Simple, light, fresh and nearly always delicious, it’s a fantastic cuisine. I’ve read two books on it in quick succession and have attempted a few dishes using tofu and miso paste. The results have been nice and tasty – with the bonus of being very quick to prepare – but probably not very authentic.

crispy miso tofu

Luckily Josh bought me a course of 5 Japanese cooking classes at Atsuko’s Kitchen for my birthday, so I could learn how to do it properly. The first class was last night and it was so much fun.
Japanese cooking class
It’s held in the lovely Grocery store in Dalston and taught by Atsuko, who has travelled all over the world teaching classes. Her enthusiasm really came through as she talked through all the ingredients and processes at the basis of Japanese cuisine.

Japanese cooking class
Guess which are Atsuko’s egg rolls and which are the students’ attempt!

She expertly showed us how to make sticky rice, miso soup, egg rolls and wakame-sesame salad – and we got to have a go ourselves – then we sat down to a delicious meal of the results at the end of the class.
Japanese cooking class
Finally we made a rice ball each to take home in our bento boxes. I can’t wait for the next class.
Japanese cooking class

January 27th 2010 at 9:17 pm

I love the photo of the students' attempt beside Atsuko's.

• notjustmedical

January 28th 2010 at 11:27 am

All looks so delicious!

S

• Lynne

January 31st 2010 at 9:55 pm

Looks delicious. Great venue, too.

• Caroline, No.

February 2nd 2010 at 12:02 am

I'd really love to know how to make tofu go all crispy like that. Mine never works.

• thea

February 2nd 2010 at 3:46 am

Oh my goodness!! this looks AMAZINGLY YUM!!!

thea.
    xx

• movewithease

February 3rd 2010 at 5:49 pm

This is such a great idea, when I move to London I might try and book on that course :) You look like you did pretty well too :)

• R

February 14th 2010 at 3:11 am

Hi,I'm Rie Japanese girl living in London.
    I really like visiting your blog since i found out.
    I feel Happy when i see your work. and I also Happy that I knew your interested in Japanese cook!!
    so I wanna tell you the Japanese cafe which sells real Japanese home cooking!! There are a few of my favorite foods as same as my mam made at family dinner!!
    It's "Cha no Ma" in Baker street station just next to the Pizza Express.
    hope you like Japanese food more!!
    Thank you!!
    R

• katie

February 15th 2010 at 12:20 pm

Rie, thanks so much for your comment, I'm definitely going to go and try Cha no Ma!

• El Blanco: A Analogue Man Living In A Digital World

February 25th 2010 at 4:53 pm

i saw these an it reminded me of your site so i thought i'd post the link. You probs have seen it before.

• Alex

March 7th 2010 at 9:37 am

Hey Katie

Not sure if you've ever tried Okonomayaki but Abeno in Museum Street is great. Highly recommend the Tokyo Mix and wash it down with Calpico. :-)

Alex

• Nose in a book

March 7th 2010 at 10:54 am

That looks amazing. I love Japanese food but have never tried cooking Japanese, unless stir fry counts. Must have a look out for lessons like this in Bristol.

• Alex C.

December 8th 2010 at 9:19 pm

Hi,

Have you tried Yuki in West London, she offers Japanese Cooking Lessons I just bought a cooking class voucher as a gift for a friend after doing one of her sushi lessons. Very tasty and confident I can make it myself now.

Alex

• Brompton Cookery School

January 3rd 2011 at 6:06 pm

Japanese food is one of the finest I have ever found. We hope one day you can come to our place to offer some teaching in Japanese cooking.

• 2010 in pictures | What Katie Does

March 11th 2015 at 2:00 pm

[…] January: Japanese cooking class […]

• Recipe: vegan Japanese tofu stew – What Katie Does

November 27th 2016 at 1:55 pm

[…] which acts like a sponge soaking up all the lovely liquor. I first got the recipe when I did my Japanese cooking course a couple of years ago, but I’ve adapted it a fair bit since then to suit my taste and store […]