Across the Way: Exhibition

February 25th 2010

I think I need to make a daytrip to Bristol to see this exhibition – a collaborative show between four artists/illustrators – Adam Hancher, Jack Hudson, Luke Jinks and Owen Gatley. A mix of folklore-inspired illustrations, papercutting, handpainted signage.. a dream show for me.

Might as well make a day of it if I do go – can anyone recommend any other nice things to see/do/eat in Bristol?

• Hannah

February 26th 2010 at 10:36 am

Oh you must tell us how it is!! looks amazing, I think def worth a visit, I may do one too! Bristol = amazing! Loads of great pubs – make sure you go to the cider boat – its called the Apple and is quite central on the river. A boat full of dream ciders……. heaven!

• James

February 26th 2010 at 1:59 pm

Bristol is a young place, with great energy, and people are very friendly. I live in Brighton and the vibe is similar. We were there to visit our daughter last week. A cliché maybe, but Brunel’s Clifton suspension bridge is wonderful, you just have to see it. There is a Camera Obscura just above it, and Clifton Village itself is good to explore, there’s a beautiful if expensive deli, and individual quirky shops around the Clifton Arcade such as this one http://www.otomi.co.uk/dayofthedead.html. St Nick’s covered market, http://stnicholasmarketbristol.co.uk/ is great too, and Bristol Museum & Art Gallery (the one Banksy took over last year) is worth a snoop too. In fact you’ll have a great time wherever you go. You’ll just love it. Spend at least a weekend there.

• James

February 26th 2010 at 2:45 pm

Oh yes and I forgot. In St Nick's covered Market you'll find the completely tasteless but fabulous Beast T shirts http://www.beast-clothing.com/, and nearby there is this little Lebanese restaurant http://www.mazati.co.uk/ that does a cheap set lunch (during the week anyway). It is vegetarian friendly!

• Carolina Torres

February 26th 2010 at 3:46 pm

Precioso!!!
    Felicitaciones!
    Beauiful, congratulations!

• SJP

March 6th 2010 at 8:51 pm

Perhaps this comment is a little late but if you've not yet been to Bristol then there are so many places you would like! Stokes Croft, the area the Here gallery is located in, is full of graffiti and street art, there is a great gallery/cafe next door to Here (The Art House)and there are plenty more pop-up galleries and affordable cafes across the other side of the street. A ten minute walk can get you to Park Street which is full of little boutiques and interiors shops and Park Row, with the Friend & Co gallery and the Bristol Guild. The Waterfront/Harbourside area has the Arnolfini (gallery/bar/cinema/book shop) on one side and the Watershed cinema on the other.That should be more than enough to keep you busy for a day! x

• katie

March 8th 2010 at 12:11 pm

Thanks everyone for your tips! Planning to go the weekend after next so will report back after then. x

• teawithonesugarplease

March 13th 2010 at 10:42 pm

I love the cat book I must get a copy