New house: we’re in!

November 30th 2010katie

Moving day

After a rather exhausting couple of weeks, we’re in our new house. We’re still rather surrounded by unpacked boxes but we’ve got a little bit of renovation done already.

Works in progress

The first thing we did on getting the keys was start ripping out the bathroom ready for the builder to come in and give us a shiny new one. It’s pretty compact in there so we couldn’t do very much, just update the suite and tiles. It’s still not quite finished but I already love using it – taking my first relaxing baths in years and enjoying lovely hot powerful showers. I also love the teal blue wall colour and the bath mat and hand towel from H&M’s new home range. I’ll post better photos when it’s actually finished!

Works in progress

The most time-consuming task so far was getting the living room floor sanded and re-varnished. We kept getting the wrong tools, sanders and sandpaper grades and nothing seemed to shift the stubborn old varnish. Luckily I found a dark coloured stain that covered up the big mess we made (we probably didn’t even need to sand at all) and after a few coats of clear varnish on top it looks really lovely. We also painted the fire surround white and the walls a pretty pale grey. Still waiting for our sofa to be delivered and on the hunt for a big rug to insulate the rather draughty boards.

House in progress

The to-do list is still very long: wallpaper 2 rooms, hang pictures, re-upholster some vintage chairs, make curtains.. and replace the ugly and too-small kitchen.

Share this entry with this shortURL: http://whatkatiedo.es/movedin

• Jon Darke

November 30th 2010 at 12:14 pm

Wow – looking really nice! Amazed at how well that floor came up. Good tips for if we ever get real wooden floors.

• Top Bird @ Wee Birdy

November 30th 2010 at 12:21 pm

Hello there – love your post – we've just bought a new flat in Sydney and moved in yesterday, so I can relate to all the boxes and chaos.

It's feels nice to play in newly renovated space of your own design, isn't it?

Love your fireplace! xx

• James

November 30th 2010 at 1:55 pm

Congratulations! I hope you both have much happiness in your new home.

• Kathryn

November 30th 2010 at 3:35 pm

wow the bathroom looks great…where did you source the subway tiles?

• katie

November 30th 2010 at 4:24 pm

Hi Kathryn, the wall and floor tiles are both from http://www.webtiles.co.uk – cheaper online than high street!

• Bryony

November 30th 2010 at 5:40 pm

That tree wallpaper is amazing! Where did you find it!? Congrats on the move =)

• katie

November 30th 2010 at 6:47 pm

hi Bryony, it's 'Trees' by Cole & Son. isn't it gorrrgeous – I think the effect will be great when I've finished the wall!

• Zoë

November 30th 2010 at 10:29 pm

Wow! I love how the floor came up, the living room looks very spacious indeed! Oh how exciting to have a wonderful new chapter in your life! And those are perfect colours for a bathroom!

• madeleine

December 3rd 2010 at 10:56 pm

Very handsome cat, and looks like he's settled in Ok too!

• Bee

December 6th 2010 at 12:13 pm

congratulations it looks gorgeous! what colour/brand is the blue in your bathroom?

• Style Souk

December 29th 2010 at 1:16 am

Oh my…

You have the most beautiful (beautiful, beautiful!) home. A million cardboard boxes could never obscure such a truth.

I hope that you will both have every happiness in your new (and utterly enviable!) abode.

Sarah x

• Miss Acquisative

May 27th 2011 at 11:23 am

Hello, I love your house. Was wondering, what colour did you use on the walls in the living room? I have been searching in vain for the perfect grey shade of white for ages and this one looks perfect!
    Thanks x