Quilted cushion

January 29th 2011katie

Quilted cushion

Meet the fruits of my third class at The Make Lounge – a quilted log cabin cushion. Like the other classes I’ve done there, it was fun, relaxed and informative. The hardest part was choosing which fabrics to use – and sewing in a straight line after a glass or two of wine…

Quilted cushion
Quilted cushion

Quilted cushion

I picked the colour scheme – using two of my own stashed fabrics mixed with 3 from the extensive selection in the Make Lounge shop – to match with our living room, and the quilted finish makes the cushion extra-squishy and cosy.

Quilted cushion

It was really good to get back onto a sewing machine, and it’s made me determined to buy a new one and do more sewing at home – can anyone recommend a good reliable machine for >£300?

Quilted cushion

If you fancy having a go at learning quilting too, there are dates for more Make Lounge classes in March and April – click here for more info and to book.

Share this entry with this shortURL: http://whatkatiedo.es/quiltedcushion

• Kathryn

January 29th 2011 at 6:39 pm

your cushion looks lovely, well done!

I use my mum's machine that she got in Lidl. I know you're probably thinking it would be crap but its actually great. I have been using it for the past 2 years and have made lots of things on it including a full sized quilt and a couple of skirt. I'm currently in the middle of sewing a dress. I haven't seen this particular model in the stores recently, only a more basic one. The model I use is Veristas 9000A5 and it has lots of extra feet do to things like button holes, zippers and blind hemming. I think Veritas are a German sewing machine company so its not a Lidl brand.

• Zoe

January 29th 2011 at 7:42 pm

I have a Janome Memory Craft 4800QC , its made for quilting but can do everything else you could possibly want to. Auto button holes, around a hundred different stitches, it remembers your last stitch when you switch it on again. You can probably read much more eloquent description online but I really love it. I got a reconditioned one for around 200 which is super good! & have absolutely no complaints. I made my mum a double quilt for christmas and it was a dream to stitch especially after stitching with a machine I bought from Aldi that I got with my first paycheck at 16 up until this point (7 years!) Its so smooth and quiet!

x

• that kate

January 29th 2011 at 11:56 pm

That's a wonderful cushion! I went to an Extraordinary Embroidery class at the make lounge and it was great. I am using a mini sewing machine from John Lewis at the mo which gets me by, but i have my eye on a rather swish Janome one…

• Frances

January 30th 2011 at 9:25 pm

That's a great cushion! I also went to the Make Lounge this week – just a simple make a cushion cover class to help me get to grips with my own sewing machine. It was really great – I recognise some of the fabrics in your quilted cover from some of my fellow markers efforts!

• mujerboricua

January 31st 2011 at 3:24 pm

I *love* the Make Lounge. I did their apron and skirt making class. I'm also looking for a sewing machine as well. If you find a good one please share which one!

• Jennifer | The Make Lounge

February 21st 2011 at 10:52 pm

Hi guys – We use the Janome DC3050 in our classes at The Make Lounge. It's a great machine! We used to stock it in the shop but it's now a John Lewis-only make.

• Lizzi

March 5th 2011 at 6:02 pm

I got my Brother about 7 years ago and it was around £300ish. It is very lightweight but has all sorts of gizmos – loads of embroidery stitiches – buttonholes to die for, blind hemmer etc etc – I think it's fab. (it even threads the needle)

• Katie

May 19th 2011 at 3:07 pm

nice cushion. I bought a Singer Confidence about a year ago and love it – has given me, well, you know….confidence!

• Practice your Quilting | And Sew We Craft

October 27th 2012 at 11:15 pm

[…] cushion from What Katie Does is a great […]

• Foxes Quilt | What Katie Sews

February 27th 2015 at 9:46 am

[…] was my first real foray into patchwork and quilting, besides a cushion class at The Make Lounge years ago (which is still pride of place on my sofa) and my recent sewing machine cover. I had some […]