Franco Manca, Chiswick

May 17th 2011

Since the wonderful London Overground train route opened, it’s a lot easier for us to get over to West London — previously held in my mind as a posh suburb miles away from the ‘real’ part of town. But there are some lovely places to explore over there, like Chiswick, which rather reminds me of Angel transplanted 10 miles west, but with some notable extras that make it worth the trip. Firstly, lots of nice interior shops including the fabulous Old Cinema. Secondly, Franco Manca which has perhaps just taken my crown of best pizza in London.

Franco Manca
Franco Manca

Handily situated just a few doors down from The Old Cinema, they offer a small but perfectly formed menu of six pizza options plus daily specials and tapas-style meat and cheese sides/starters. Quality of ingredients shines through, from the proudly-labelled ‘single estate’ tomatoes to organic wines and home made lemonade.

Franco Manca

Unf, I’m drooling just looking at the photo and remembering the taste. A smoky, charred, chewy sourdough base topped with red onions, spinach and gorgonzola cheese (the veg special of the day). With a generous glug of garlic and chilli oil, this was an absolute treat – and at only around £7 for a very generous portion, I had enough to take home and chomp my way through later! Go – it’s worth it.

Other notable noms in the area that we didn’t get the time to visit include Gelato Mio, a recently-opened Italian ice cream shop, and the amazing-looking American bakery Outsider Tart. There’s also another branch of Franco Manca in Brixton — but I’ll save the South London adventure for another time…

Franco Manca on Urbanspoon Share this entry with this shortURL: http://whatkatiedo.es/chiswick

• Lemlina

May 17th 2011 at 8:07 pm

Oooh, that looks delicious. I'm a West Londoner & always after new places to eat! And I LOVE the Old Cinema shop – I could spend hours in there! x

• grania

May 17th 2011 at 8:16 pm

I'll be eating there next time I head back to see my mum! It's been a while since I looted The Old Cinema too.

For icecream, it may not look like much but Fouberts on Turnham Green Terrace is the best I know of. They used to be based where High Road House is now, and they do absolutely wonderful icecream. The rest of the menu is sadly best avoided though. Stuck in the 1970's and very much in need of a revamp.

• Rachel

May 17th 2011 at 8:21 pm

I NEED to eat here!

• dina

May 18th 2011 at 7:59 am

Thanks for this places!!

• dormouse

May 18th 2011 at 11:05 am

My mum grew up in Chiswick and is very fond of the place.

There's a Franco Manca in Brixton too, by the way, for those of your readers who might not be so inclined to go west!

• Erin

May 18th 2011 at 5:08 pm

Was just at this very place today! They are lovely and yummy. Great place with kids as well. The Brixton one is the original – there are rumours they want to expand significantly across London.

Outsider Tart is great, good for American groceries too, like corn syrup, BBQ sauces etc.

• Zoe

May 19th 2011 at 10:35 pm

The orginal one in Brixton is one of my absolute favorite places to eat. If you're planning other South London food adventures you should also check out fujiyama SO GOOD!

x