Underground night market

May 7th 2011

Underground night market

We had bags of fun last night at the Underground Night Market, hosted in the home of Secret Supper Club foody goddess Kerstin Rodgers, aka Ms Marmite Lover. It was a gorgeous warm evening and the house and garden were packed with people and all kind of lovely goodies, from sizzling bacon butties to refreshing sorbets.

Underground night market
Underground night market
Underground night marketUnderground night market
Underground night market

Our nibbles of choice, Korean sliders and Mauritian chickpea fritters

Underground night market

Homemade spicy fruit liqueurs by Alchemist Dreams

Underground night marketUnderground night market
Underground night market

Delicious fruity dessert shots by Art of Puddings

Check the blog for details of more upcoming events by Msmarmitelover, and Kerstin’s recently-released debut cookbook looks rather lovely, too.

More photos on Flickr.

Share this entry with this shortURL: http://whatkatiedo.es/nightmkt

• smurfpop

May 7th 2011 at 11:36 am

Woah, that looks amazing! (Is it in a back garden?!)

• Tass

May 7th 2011 at 11:44 am

Oh wow! I'm Mauritian and I have never seen du pain frier being sold anywhere before :)

• katie

May 7th 2011 at 11:58 am

@Smurfpop – Yes it's in Kerstin's house and garden!

@Tass – I loved the Mauritian food! I'm now hunting out Mauritian restaurants in London :)

• Kate@oh Knit!

May 7th 2011 at 12:03 pm

Wow, that all looks amazing!
    Kate
    x

• Nick

May 7th 2011 at 12:08 pm

I also went to this. I wanted to enjoy it. I didn't.

Still, your photos look nice. In future, I'll read your blog and look at the pictures, which I will no doubt find less traumatic than going in person.

• Sunday Girl

May 7th 2011 at 12:08 pm

Looks like a great event!

stephanie-hamer.blogspot.com

• Caz Turner

May 7th 2011 at 12:17 pm

Ah those kimchi burgers were SO yum!!
    x

• katie

May 7th 2011 at 12:19 pm

@ NIck – why didn't you enjoy it? Too busy?

• theundergroundrestaurant

May 7th 2011 at 1:18 pm

HI
    thanks katie for the lovely blog post. Great pix.
    Nick:
    Yes why didn' you enjoy it? Too crowded?

• Rachel

May 7th 2011 at 2:15 pm

That looks incredible! And I want a burger.

• thingshelenlikes

May 7th 2011 at 4:14 pm

I'm half-Mauritian (and used to live there) and am so jealous! Lucky you!

P.S. Do you think I could get some tips about holding my own Underground Market?

• sue

May 8th 2011 at 4:28 pm

Fab pix from this Friday's UNM and lovely one of my dessert shots. Thanks a lot.

• Ms M

May 8th 2011 at 11:37 pm

Hi Katie,
    Nice to meet you and boyf on Friday (I was next too Lynne). Great Pics. Love the candles on first pic!!!

• Kat

May 9th 2011 at 1:18 pm

I've been craving Mauritian food since we honeymooned there last year, so I'll have to track those guys down! I've got terrific memories of buying roti chaud from street vans, as well as ladoo — a kind of sweet doughy ball; so very tasty.

Sounds like it was a great night!

• Nick

May 9th 2011 at 10:33 pm

It was just too crowded for me! I found it quite overwhelming being around so many people in such a comparatively small space. It felt like there wasn't really sufficient space to properly look around & enjoy it.

I feel guilty for saying that it wasn't for me, not least because I could see that so much effort went into preparing the night, and so many others were obviously enjoying themselves. Perhaps now that I know what to expect, a second time visit wouldn't be so traumatic.

Full credit for a unique concept, one that is clearly very successful and well received.

• katie

May 10th 2011 at 9:54 am

I think that's fair enough critique Nick, it was busy and a little difficult to move around at times, but I guess that's the payoff for the uniqueness of it being in someone's house.. I thought the atmosphere was really nice though despite the crowdedness, and a good range of things on offer without too horrendous queues.

• Jazzy E (hivenn)