Olympus Ecru

June 9th 2011katie

Olympus Ecru
Olympus Ecru

Since I’m a bit of an Olympus camera fangirl (I have the E-P1 as well as two old Oly SLRs and a Trip-35), Josh bought me this beautiful collectors’ Olympus Ecru for our anniversary. A limited edition from 1991, it was designed as a stylish concept camera for the Japanese market, but it also happens to have a lovely little lens and take quite gorgeous photos. I took it to Barcelona on a test run and already succeeding in scuffing it up a bit :/ but I’m very pleased with the sharp, bright pictures it produced:

Barcelona
Barcelona
Barcelona

You can’t tell, but i’m trying to ape the stupid lobster sculpture in the background

Barcelona
Barcelona

San Antoni food market

Barcelona

Resting my sore festival feet at the hotel

Barcelona
Barcelona

The hotel’s rooftop pool (we stayed at Hotel Soho)

Barcelona
Barcelona
Barcelona

At the festival

It came with a cute Japanese/English manual as well.

I might start collecting limited-edition Olympus cameras; next on my list would be the pretty little leather-bound LT-1 and the startlingly unusual O-Product.

Beautiful and functional, the best kind of collectors’ item, no?

Share this entry with this shortURL: http://whatkatiedo.es/ecru

• Siobhan

June 9th 2011 at 9:45 pm

Great pics! That Lobster's got nothing on you…

• Kat

June 9th 2011 at 10:42 pm

Great snaps Katie — that lobster sculpture is so unbelievably garish, isn't it? Still, the rest of Barca more than compensates for it!

That O-Product cam is amazing; might have to check that out myself. Not so sure the husband will like me adding another film camera to the collection, though as a tech journo that's my excuse right there, surely?!

• James

June 9th 2011 at 11:21 pm

Stupid lobster tsk tsk! No, that's Mariscal's smiley prawn (made originally for the roof of a seafood restaurant, where it made more sense). And I love it! My, you're practically taking the name of the design god of Barcelona in vain. My you'd better be careful or they won't allow you back.

• James

June 9th 2011 at 11:28 pm

P.S. Nice pics, and I'm intensely jealous of that gorgeous camera, and your trip to my favourite European city. Next time you visit try the Camper hotel.

• Kate@oh Knit!

June 10th 2011 at 9:47 am

Stunning pictures. Olympus's are wonderful.

• lizzie

June 10th 2011 at 4:00 pm

the pictures turned out beautiful, i saw one of those at the flea market once and i didn't think super highly of olympus's at the time…now i think they're awesome, but i missed out, no!?

• Becky

June 11th 2011 at 1:17 pm

Great photos, I stayed at Hotel Soho a couple of years ago.

• Melanie K

June 12th 2011 at 5:34 pm

Love the street art and the retro cameras.

• djgeorgie

January 5th 2012 at 11:25 pm

I love my Ecru. I just did a video review:

I love the pics you’ve taken. I’m burning the first roll that I’ve installed in the video and developing it myself later tonight.

This is my second Ecru, my first one was stolen. The leather strap for both of them was cracking. I plan on DIYing my own. How is your camera strap?

It’s glad to see this camera still alive today. I love your blog.

January 6th 2012 at 12:33 pm

My Ecru is currently in for repair – after the first roll, every other roll has come out extremely blurry/unfocused :( Not quite sure what went wrong…

• Around Copenhagen | What Katie Does

July 1st 2012 at 5:16 pm

[…] random snaps from around Copenhagen with my E-P1 and OM10. (My Ecru, which I spent a fortune repairing, is still broken and swllowed two films :( […]

• Quek Yew Aun

January 15th 2013 at 2:49 am

Gorgeous pics!! Just wanted to ask,can the Olympus LT-1 take multi exposure pictures? I saw some on Tumblr..

• jenny

February 4th 2013 at 2:27 am

hi katie! i found your blog after searching for an olympus ecru manual. i just bought one off ebay and i can’t seem to get it to work properly. fresh batteries, film loaded correctly, switch is ON, but when i depress the shutter, i hear the lens retract and nothing happens. have you had anything like this happen with your camera? i’m desperate to find answers as to why this could be.. maybe i am not doing something correctly? if you could give any information that’d be awesome.. :) thank you!

February 4th 2013 at 10:48 am

Hi Jenny – mine’s actually broken too – it does fire a shot but something’s wrong with the lens because all the photos come out very blurry/unfocused. I’ll have a look in the manual and fire you an email if I see anything that might help…

1. Lianne

January 4th 2017 at 3:50 pm

Did you ever manage to get yours fixed? I just bought one today and the film wont load, just the E for error symbol- absolutely gutted

1. katie

January 7th 2017 at 11:23 pm

No – well, I did, but it came out the same after. sad!