London with Lomo’s La Sardina

October 2nd 2011katie

Lomo Sardina

The lovely people at Lomography UK kindly lent me a camera to test drive for the summer. I already have quite a few analogue cameras, from Lomo’s Holga and Diana to Russian classics and a growing Olympus collection – so I picked one of their brand-new offerings, the La Sardina. Obviously I was drawn to its cute, kitschy looks, with its graphical take on old sardine tins, but it also features a wide-angle lens, multi-exposure abilities and a bolt-on flash with coloured filters.

Lomo Sardina

Like all Lomo cameras, it comes beautifully packaged so ‘unboxing’ is a joy. The package includes a lovely bound book with photography tips, and the instruction manual doubles as cool poster.

[vimeo clip_id=”25136130″ width=”640″ height=”424″]

La Sardina Unboxing from Lomography on Vimeo.

It’s small and light enough to carry round daily, so I just snapped loads of photos from my weekened jaunts around town. I tried to stick to the Lomo ‘shoot from the hip’ principle without worrying much about framing, and the camera’s minimal controls mean it’s usually ready to shoot any kind of scene (there’s just two focus lengths and a bulb mode for indoor long exposures).

Around Hackney and Broadway Market

South Bank

Multiple exposure

Tatton park

Lomo Sardina

A little dark indoors without flash

Lomo Sardina

Trying out the coloured flash filters

I had a lot of fun with La Sardina: its ease of use means it’s brilliant for snapping quick photos without fiddling with settings for ages. But I confess I did miss the control that comes from more manual cameras, and found the plastic build just a little flimsy. But for a sling-in-your-bag kind of camera for capturing outside fun, it’s perfect.

Check out La Sardina’s microsite here, and there’s more of my photos on Flickr.

October 2nd 2011 at 11:54 am

Ooh, I have this camera on my Amazon wishlist. So glad you have posted photographs because I haven’t seen very many taken with it! I love the photograph of the rabbit on the wall!

• Syira Mansor

October 2nd 2011 at 6:41 pm

hi katie, i adore your blog.
    just now i’ve ordered my own La Sardina too, i i finds out that your pics are awesome.

what film do you used(especially for the first few pics) and do you did digital editing on those pictures? because it looks so beautiful.

regards, syira :)

October 2nd 2011 at 9:07 pm

Thanks Syira, I’m glad you bought one! I used the regular Lomography 35mm film, and didn’t do much editing except for cropping and levels.

• Kat

October 2nd 2011 at 8:47 pm

Glad you finally got your hands on a La Sardina — I remember talking to you about it at the Gocco workshop!

It’s become my “chuck in the bag and don’t worry if it gets broken/stolen” Lomo cam; I really like how simple it is (except winding back is a bitch, isn’t it? That little plastic dial has given me so many blisters!)

Lovely pics there — love the rabbit :)

October 2nd 2011 at 9:08 pm

Oo Kat I bought some of that Tungsten film when I picked up my negatives that you recommended, excited to try that out.

• Kat

October 2nd 2011 at 9:34 pm

Oooh ooh oooh, is that the rebadged Lomography Tungsten? I can’t wait to see your shots — flick the ISO up to 200 to get some gorgeous purples. Best of luck with it!

October 2nd 2011 at 9:36 pm

Yes the rebadged one, think I will save it to take to SF next month :)

• Tamsin

October 3rd 2011 at 9:17 am

Love the photos and yay! Tatton Park! Cheshire FTW.

• theanalogdork

October 3rd 2011 at 3:18 pm

Hi,

I stumbled upon your beautiful blog, and was attracted to this post cause I also got a La Sardina on loan from Lomography to play with. Your photos are amazing! I just had developed one roll so far. Let me know what u think (http://bit.ly/theanalogdork)

• Rhianne

October 7th 2011 at 9:55 am

Wow, your photos turned out beautifully, they look great and the colours are amazing, I didn’t realise that the sardina could look so vivid. I’m trying mine out with black and white film this weekend which I’m quite excited about.

• blu

June 27th 2013 at 6:40 pm

Hey I just got a la sardina and I am a bit confused. Can you tell me how do I know if I actually shot something?

• Heather

August 15th 2013 at 2:15 am

So I’ve had my la sardina for about a month or two but my first two films came out blurry or blank. I fixed the problem but what’s the best way to use the camera? Flash or no flash? I only have the camera and not the fritz the blitz.

• Annie

October 5th 2013 at 8:20 pm

Hey I love the way your photos turned out! My problem is that whenever I don’t use my flash the pictures turn out all dark, is that normal? I don’t use flash unless if there’s little light, however they always turn out dark even in proper light!
    And finally, any suggestions on how to keep photos not blurry? Whenever my photos come out they’re blurry or hazy. I keep my hand as still as possible when taking pictures.
    Please any help/recommendations is greatly appreciated.

Annie