Nigel Slater’s garden kitchen

October 13th 2011katie

I’ve been very much enjoying Nigel Slater’s new series on BBC1. Not just for the recipes and Nige’s soothing tones, but to catch glimpses of the stunning kitchen and garden in which he cooks. Don’t know about you, but I have a sudden urge to paint everything warm slate grey, install giant gatefold doors to my garden, and buy loads of charmingly pre-loved enamelware pans.

Update with more info (thanks, commenters!): this isn’t Nigel’s real house and garden, but a purpose built set in North-east London designed by Rudi Thackray, with all construction by a specialist team. Try Treecraft Woodwork or Crittall for similar folding doors.

• teresita

October 13th 2011 at 6:16 pm

Oh my God!!! I want the garden and the house too!! I don’t have bbc in my cable tv…seems I’m missig this.

• threesmallapples

October 14th 2011 at 12:00 pm

Imagine having a garden that size in London!! Jealousy…

And Nige has a pretty good soundtrack too… it’s like a pop-princess playlist and you only get 10 seconds on each track…
    xx

• dianne @ icefloe

October 25th 2011 at 4:38 pm

I have such huge garden envy every time I watch Nigel. I wish he was my Uncle.

• anke von scheffel

October 26th 2011 at 2:10 pm

the highest inspiration –
    and now I want your garden room and extend my kitchen…….

• Decorator’s Notebook

November 1st 2011 at 12:51 pm

I saw this for the first time last week and spent the whole time admiring that gorgeous open shelving and musing about the paint colour. I think it says a lot about me that I barely even noticed the food (I am an interiors sad case, I know)!

• tracy fox bryant

December 16th 2011 at 5:55 am

Can anyone help ? I love the bi fold doors in nigel slaters kitchen. May i have details on the material and a supplier. i would be very grateful. tracy x

1. Julie Stell

January 10th 2012 at 2:58 pm

Hi Tracy, Did you have any luck with the details of the supplier of Nigel Slater’s bifold doors? I love them too and would like to know the details if you have them. Kind regards. Julie

1. rob.griffi

March 24th 2013 at 12:23 pm

I just found these that look very similar http://www.treecraft-woodwork.com/doors.php?ID=14

2. Elisabeth

July 27th 2013 at 4:22 pm

Hi. I ‘ m from Argentina. You can see the doors you like in http://www.dalialuminio.com.ar
        You could ask them the way to make it. I know they work in aluminium. Sorry my poor English.

2. Rudi Thackray

June 14th 2013 at 3:19 pm

Sorry I’m a bit late to this party but I designed the set and those doors, all made by a Uk construction team unfortunately but if you’d like more info then just give me a shout?

Glad you like the space, inspired by Mr Slaters own spaces and garden!
      Rudi

1. Michele Legg

June 16th 2013 at 3:01 pm

Hi
        Do you have any idea what the colour is on Nigel slater’s set walls?
        I have had so many sample pots and still don’t think I have the right one?
        Hope you can help?
        Regards
        Michele Legg

2. Ryan Smith

July 29th 2013 at 4:01 pm

Hi, do you know what the gray colour is on the walls/doors etc on Nigel’s Garden kitchen, everyone absolutely loves this colour and I think everyone on every blog about this kitchen would be extremely please with a definite answer on the colour/supplier/manufacturer?
        Maybe everyone loves the colour simply because of the amazingly designed set as a whole, well done.

3. Sarah

August 16th 2013 at 8:00 pm

Hi – don’t suppose you remember what paint colour is used on the walls in the kitchen? Thanks in advance

4. Cliodhna

August 23rd 2013 at 8:26 pm

Hi Rudi Thackray,

Love your design ! Just watched Nigel Slater’s show for the first time tonight and screamed at my husband to come look at the kitchen. It’s very similar to the one we’ve drawn for our dream home. Industrial but still wholesome. Very cool !

• Helen Hill

February 6th 2012 at 4:16 pm

I am desperately trying to find bifold doors like the ones Nigel Slater has in his kitchen.

If you were able to point me in the right direction that really woud be marvellous.

1. Eleanor

March 24th 2013 at 3:34 pm

You can try Wickes, the builders merchant!

1. charlotte holmes

January 21st 2014 at 9:29 am

We are interior designers and were inspired by Rudy Thackray’s design for the bifold doors and custom made our own version for a recent project
        they’re made in harwood and hand painted so really have a lovely natural texture. please get in touch if we can help with any more info!
        best wishes
        charlotte

January 28th 2014 at 2:56 pm

Beautiful!

• Hannah Wheeler

February 22nd 2012 at 9:24 pm

I could only concentrate on this mans kitchen.

• Week 28: A Glimmer of Light | Andalus Road

March 18th 2012 at 10:25 am

[…] everywhere. Here are some examples of where Axe’s inspiration has come from – including Nigel Slater’s garden kitchen shown in his TV series ‘Simple Suppers’, Gwyneth Paltrow’s kitchen and a few […]

• samuel

June 23rd 2012 at 11:53 am

Hi there,

did anyone have any luck with the hunt to find the supplier of the bifold doors? Any information would be greatly appreciated. love them! much nicer than any we have been looking at
    Cheers, Sam

1. Rod

July 8th 2012 at 1:20 am

Hi. I live in Australia but practiced as an architect in the uk for 12 years. Hard to say exactly which manufacturer the doors are, but they look a lot like traditional Crittall windows http://www.crittall-windows.co.uk/
      These are the traditional industrial steel framed windows. Steel frame windows have those lovely slender horizontals but can run afoul Of the building regulations as they conduct the cold from outside to in (something to be aware of) As I say just a guess but would be worth a try. Loving nigel’s show and garden by the way!

• Jennifer

June 24th 2012 at 8:09 am

Hello from Melbourne Australia, I have for the first time seen Nigel Slatter cooking show, the Surf and Turf episode. I utterly love, love this kitchen. Would anyone know the brand of the white cabinet against the wall, and the square table, centre of room?

• Caroline Wright

November 6th 2012 at 4:30 pm

I’m also using his kitchen for inspiration for our extention. So beautiful, classy and classic… Any more photos would be great to see. Thankyou

• jayne

November 12th 2012 at 7:30 pm

Hi,I m loving the paint colour in Nigel Slater s kitchen. can anyone suggest what it may be???

November 12th 2012 at 10:55 pm

These look like they could be smilar to me:

• Kate @ M is for make

November 15th 2012 at 11:40 am

Bit late to this as just catching up on the recorded series but every time I watch an episode, I turn to the husband and ask him if we can paint a wall grey. And I find myself saying ‘I love those doors’ at least once an episode, perhaps I like his kitchen more than the cooking!

1. Matt Higgs

August 7th 2013 at 11:05 am

Please check out our website http://www.kloeber.co.uk we bespoke make timber bifold doors and can match exactly to the ones on the program.

• Emma

November 23rd 2012 at 7:52 pm

Just googled and found out its a set built by these guys

I’m still copying the grey walls for my kitchen though!

• Peter Gray

February 12th 2013 at 2:02 pm

Would anyone know where the kitchen table and stools/chairs come from?

1. Danielle Churchill

April 28th 2013 at 7:52 am

Hi Peter

Did you have any luck in sourcing a table like this one?
      I’m looking for one too, exactly the same but lower, any suggestions?

Dani

• Jonathan Peck

August 24th 2013 at 1:53 pm

So disappointed to discover the kitchen is just a set, Nigel looks so at home in it especially on rainy days! The kitchen and his gentleness go together so well.

• Biljana@Alumen

January 30th 2014 at 9:20 am

Lovely big garden, wish i could have that kind of a kitchen, It would be a pleasure to cook there….

• » Nigel Slater’s Kitchen

February 24th 2014 at 2:30 pm

[…] via What Katie Does and Hydrangea […]

• stuart

March 24th 2014 at 4:09 pm

I am trying to find same or similar to the rectangle metal cooking dish/pan that Nigel Slater uses, it has a handle at each end and can be used to fry & put in the oven.

• Joe Marino

September 22nd 2014 at 8:11 pm

Hi

I am designing and building a similar kitchen for my client at the moment, I cover Kent and surrounding counties, something similar would be around the 16k mark, check out http://www.marinobespokeinteriors.co.uk.
    Thanks Joe

• LJ

July 7th 2015 at 3:07 am

Can anyone please identify (in the second photo down) the plant, near the gate on the left – I has light green fluffy looking flower ‘cones’ or puffs. You can see 5-6 of the flowers just inside the gate there? Thanks!!! Driving me nuts!

1. tabitha

July 29th 2015 at 7:37 pm

It looks to me as if it’s a Hydrangea Paniculata, but I have no idea which particular variety it is. They are lovely shrubs and quite easy to grow.

1. Lj

February 16th 2017 at 10:13 am

Thanks Tabitha :)

• Sylvia

December 20th 2016 at 10:57 pm

I also commented on “his” kitchen how I looooved it ! I was always wondering whether it was real…..never mind it’s still lovely !