Stoke Newington in the 70s and 80s

Cazenove Road 1991
Northwold Road-Fountayne Road 1975
Stoke Newington High Street 1978
Northwold Road 1978Stoke Newington Common Festival 1978
Stamford Hill 1978
Stamford Hill 1978

So happy to have stumbled across this set of photos from my ‘hood Stoke Newington in the 1970s and 80s. So interesting to see what’s changed (goodbye Woolworth’s, hello Wholefoods) and what hasn’t (The Egg Store and Turkish mens’ clubs look unchanged, as do the queues for the 73 bus). I’d love to hop in and wander around there.

Full set here.

• niceday4asulk

November 1st 2011 at 11:30 pm

What a lovely post, it’s always heart-warming to see our familiar ‘hood’ set in another era. Thanks for sharing.
    Gaelle

• Elseline Hokke

November 2nd 2011 at 6:15 am

Love it! Good shots also!

• Threesmallapples

November 2nd 2011 at 1:59 pm

I’ve lived in Stokey for over a year and I’ve STILL never ventured into Egg Stores :) xx

November 2nd 2011 at 7:35 pm

How awesome. I love photos which show you a place you are familiar yet are (literally here) a lifetime away.

• Helen Rawlinson

November 7th 2011 at 4:15 pm

Alan Denney has taken some amazing pictures over the years of N16 – I stumbled across his work when trying to find out more for our local residents’ association. I spotted one of General Woodwork Supplies – sadly it won’t be around for much longer, so let’s hope there are plenty more to keep the memory alive!

• Pete

November 23rd 2011 at 11:29 pm

I have been racking my brains for the name of a travel agent in Stoke Newington in the 70s and 60s. It sounded Jewish. was it Izzy or Iggy or something like that. Help !!

November 23rd 2011 at 11:30 pm

No idea Pete, maybe a look through Alan’s photo stream will throw it up!

• Pete

November 23rd 2011 at 11:53 pm

Thanks katie. Just looked nothing there. I think it was Church Street. You know when you try to think back and it’s on the tip of your tongue. most annoying.

• Enrico

March 17th 2012 at 10:04 am

Thanks Katie, it reminds the good times I had overthere during that period.

• Nick White

August 5th 2014 at 8:02 am

Hi Alan, this is a brilliant set of pix… a wonderful document of Stokey through the ages – I didn’t realise you used your camera so much and you did mange to do the aerial pix as well. I love all the newspaper headline pix – you’re a right Walker Evans! Hope to bump into you sometime when I’m in Stoke Newington. All the best, Nick (Luke’s dad)

• Nick White