December 7th 2011katie

Aldwych underground tour

I took a tour of the disused Aldwych underground station on Sunday, organised by TFL and the London Transport Museum. Despite their no-DSLR camera policy and a ridiculous stream of explanations as to why this is the case (from something to do with ‘high resolution sensors’ to the idea that DSLR users would somehow delay the tours), I got some decent photos from my apparently-acceptable E-P1.

A 1940s tube map showing Aldwych station

The station is sort of a time capsule: it was a funny little appendage to the line running south of Holborn that was planned to be extended, but users dwindled to the point where it was completely closed in 1994. It was used as an air raid shelter during the war and there’s lots of original wartime posters still on the walls.

More photos on Flickr

• Kate @ M is for make

December 7th 2011 at 1:14 pm

Gorgeous posters, I especially like the ‘Outings’ one

• Blair

December 7th 2011 at 1:56 pm

Those posters are absolutely to DIE for! Fantastic pictures!

December 7th 2011 at 2:01 pm

This is something I’d love to do. Love the old posters!

• Jessica

December 7th 2011 at 2:23 pm

I hear this sold out really quick – well done for getting tickets! Looks really interesting, especially the retro posters – how many of those would look great framed on a living room wall?

• threesmallapples

December 7th 2011 at 5:11 pm

So weird but I DEFINITELY got off at Aldwych station in 1998 when I went to the theatre to see “Whistle Down The Wind”. Maybe I was lost in a time warp and didn’t know it?!
    xx

• Laura

December 7th 2011 at 7:57 pm

JEALOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Andrea

December 7th 2011 at 10:16 pm

I’ve always wanted to take this tour. Must do it the next time I’m in London, it looks immense. Thank you so much for sharing!

• shinypigeon

December 7th 2011 at 10:54 pm

Gorgeous pictures. I love things like this that are complete little time capsules. Well doen for getting such beautiful piccies despite them whinging!

• Lucy

December 8th 2011 at 7:08 pm

ah I worked on this but didn’t get to go and see it, so its nice to see what it looked like! Thanks!

• Rachel

December 11th 2011 at 11:24 am

This looks absolutely incredible – I’ve always wondered what the disused stations under London have looked like in the past, amazing and thank you so much for sharing! And I totally know what you mean about the cameras. I can’t take my DLSR into most gigs because of copyright, bit if I’m near the front I can get perfectly good high quality photos off of my friend’s hybrid camera!

• Caroline

December 11th 2011 at 12:48 pm

WOW. Looks incredible. Time warp alert! x

• Melanie K

December 13th 2011 at 12:04 pm

I’ve always been tempted to try and find secret passages in the London underground, so these pictures are absolutely fascinating.

• Sarah, Maison Cupcake

December 18th 2011 at 7:57 pm

My husband and I wanted to go to this but it was already all booked out. When I first came to London in 1992 the Aldwych spur was very much still in use and it’s with huge regret that I never got around to using it. The trainspotty geek in me does love to keep an eye out in Holborn station to where the old exits would have been to change lines and take that line! (If I recall correctly this is at the front end of train for southbound Piccadilly line).

• Going Underground: Exploring Aldwych Tube Station | Anna International

November 25th 2013 at 9:21 pm

[…] intentions of exploring the London underground were forgotten, until recently I stumbled across a blog post on WhatKatieDoes.net from a couple of years back, and decided to have a google and see when […]