Homemade pasta

February 12th 2012katie

homemade pasta

It’s obviously a sign of getting old that my idea of a really fun Saturday night these days is having the luxury of time to spend hours making something interesting for dinner. I got a pasta machine for my birthday last month, so this week’s culinary adventure was making tortellini and ravioli from scratch. I’ve wanted to try this for ages as the veggie fillings you find in readymade ones are often limited, and I love the taste of fresh pasta.

homemade pasta

I used a basic dough recipe from Leith’s Vegetarian Bible (I halved the recipe quantity – 225g ’00’ flour, two eggs and a drizzle of olive oil – and still had enough to make four portions) and improvised a simple mushroomy filling with shallot, garlic and spinach.

homemade pasta

Rolling the dough and putting the shapes together was surprisingly easy though pretty time-consuming. I made ravioli by sandwiching two circles together, and tortellini by folding less filling into one circle and bending into a little shell shape. The tortellini went in the freezer for another night.

homemade pasta

Final step, boiling the pasta briefly, holding my breath that they wouldn’t burst or disintegrate (per my failed attempt at making gnocchi a while ago), then a final quick fry in butter to add a crispy texture.

homemade pasta

Served with cheeses I had to hand in the fridge – manchego and mozzarella – and a drizzle of truffle oil, it tasted really pretty good! I’ll definitely try this again with more adventurous fillings – thinking roasted aubergine, oven-dried tomato with veggie chorizo, and even potato for a double-carby hit.

• Cecilia

February 12th 2012 at 11:46 am

Looks lovely! Intrigued by the veggie-chorizo, that’s new to me. Where can you buy it? Wholefoods?

February 13th 2012 at 11:19 am

I’ve only ever seen it online (http://www.veggiestuff.com/acatalog/wheaty-gran-chorizo.html) and in a Wholefoods-type deli near Kew Gardens station. I’m not 100% sold on it (and according to boyfriend it’s not exactly a perfect substitute) but fried off and mixed with other things it gives that smoky spicy flavour pretty well.

• Anushka

February 12th 2012 at 12:42 pm

Looks delicious! I don’t think it’s a sign of getting old, unless I’m ancient (at 20), since my flatmate and I had great fun on our saturday night making cheesecake and knitting….

• siobhan

February 12th 2012 at 7:42 pm

These look amazing Katie. I used to make fresh pasta in home ec. at school, but haven’t made any in over 10 years.

I know the feeling of loving cosy Saturday nights in. It’s too cold outside, and expensive too! x

• SJP

February 12th 2012 at 8:07 pm

Yum! My friend got a pasta maker last year and a few of us made pumpkin and spinach ravioli. We had so much fun we didn’t even notice that rolling out the dough etc took us around three hours! x

• grania

February 12th 2012 at 11:20 pm

i am so impressed by these! it’s been ages since i broke out the pasta maker. it’s inspired me to get it out and have another go.

• Sarah

February 14th 2012 at 1:23 pm

Beautiful! I’ve always wanted to make homemade pasta. It looks so lovely and fun. Someday…..

• Jessica

February 14th 2012 at 2:51 pm

I have ended up the owner of not one but TWO pasta makers! Although I am a terrible person and never use either of them. So lazy. Must try this weekend!

February 14th 2012 at 3:41 pm

I bet a lot of people have one squirrelled away that never gets used. I can envisage using mine quite regularly though!

• Blog Love