Blurb photobooks

June 6th 2012katie

The folk at Blurb got in touch recently and asked if I’d like to try making my own custom photobook. I was already aware of their service so it was good to have a go at creating my own book.

Blub book

The process is really easy: upload your photos, choose your book format, drag and crop your pics and send to be published. But of course if you want to spend more time on it, you can also upload InDesign files for a completely custom design. A few days later you have a lovely hardback book of your photos: much smarter and easier than a regular photo album.

Blub book

I went for a mini-size square book, which I filled with photos of me and Josh for our anniversary. The print quality is great and the matte paper I picked makes the pages nice and tactile. I think this format would also be brilliant for immortalising your Instagrams: I like the idea of taking something ephemeral and sealing it in print.

Blub book

But it’s not just photos, you could also upload illustrations or text and make a recipe book, notebook or portfolio.. the possibilities are endless. Prices are surprisingly reasonable too, with my baby book clocking in at about 20 quid.

Have you tried Blurb before? What would you print?

• Aimee

June 6th 2012 at 4:52 pm

We made a Blurb book of our wedding photos! I love it.

• nicole @ beaufrog

June 6th 2012 at 4:58 pm

I’ve always wanted to make a Blurb book. I love the site too, loads of ideas on there. I might just get round to doing it after seeing that matt paper – beautiful.

June 6th 2012 at 6:04 pm

This is really nice! It looks wonderful. I had a photo book printed for my boyfriend a few years back, but it was a flimsy paperback thing from Jessops. Having a hardback book of snapshots would be great, and it’s something I’ve been considering for quite some time.

June 6th 2012 at 7:05 pm

I have made a book of theirs before which I really love. There is another company I want to try called pinhole press (also based in the USA) which use recycled paper stock. It would be interesting to compare the products. I think there is less control over the style of the pages though. The UK really needs to work on getting some better quality printing options like this though.

• rooth

June 7th 2012 at 12:29 am

How pretty! I’ve made a few photobooks in my time of vacations and it’s always so fun

• Natalie

June 7th 2012 at 11:31 am

I have made four Blurb books now. We always make a book when we’ve been on a big trip. We usually wait a while and then edit our photos down and create a book. It’s a fantastic way to remember holidays and people often pick them up and flick through without us having to sit down and show our slides!

• Emma

June 7th 2012 at 3:57 pm

I’ve been having trouble deciding between Blurb and Pinhole Press for my wedding album – really hard without seeing the finish in person. Lots more freedom with Blurb but Pinhole has fabric binding which looks lovely…
    Where you happy with their hardback cover?

June 7th 2012 at 4:27 pm

It’s a perfectly nice finish, Emma, just normal hardback like a book, and covered in a dust jacket which you can design. You can also pay more to get an imagewrapped hardback.

1. Emma

June 8th 2012 at 2:24 pm

Thanks for the reply, think I’ll get started this weekend! Em

• Naomi Bulger

June 9th 2012 at 8:36 am

This is lovely! My father uses Blurb to make books of people’s gardens after they invite him in to photograph their gardens

• Jessica

June 12th 2012 at 11:41 am

This is lovely. I really like the finish. I’ve been thinking it would be nice to get something made up with material from my blog, a sort of ‘best bits’ to remember it by, particularly if I ever stop writing (which I’m sure will happen eventually). It’d be nice to have something tangible to show for all those hours spent creating posts.

June 12th 2012 at 10:24 pm

That’s a really nice idea – blog annual!

• Han

June 12th 2012 at 2:04 pm

Love these books and have heard Blurb are definitely the best. a friend of mine made a photography one and i would like to design one myself at some point – probably a traveling trip memory book.

how is the freelancing going? would love an update! x

June 12th 2012 at 10:24 pm

Maybe I’ll write a post on all the work I’ve done lately – there’s a lot! :)