Quorn, mushroom and mustard casserole

February 24th 2013katie

I’m not usually a big fan of fakey meat products – I mean, I’m vegetarian for good reason – but there’s something about the cold weather that makes it appealing to fall back on simple protein-based stews and casseroles for dinner. I made up this recipe when my decidedly-omnivorous sister came round as a substitute for a similar dish that my mum makes, and it turned out really nice. It’s not very photogenic I’m afraid, but it does taste much better than it looks!

A classic combo of mushrooms, thyme, and white wine is given texture by the Quorn, which is torn into irregular pieces to give a – dare I say – meatier texture. Low fat creme fraiche gives acidity and a nice saucy base – you could swap it for half or full fat sour cream for a creamier, more decadent result. Mustard gives the whole thing a final warming kick, and serve with buttery mash for ultimate comfort factor. Give it a go!

• Chelsea

February 24th 2013 at 9:20 pm

This looks so tasty! I wish I’d had that for dinner.
    Being veggie definitely means you eat a bigger variety of things
    Have you seen Jess’ blog, she has a lot of veggie recipes I thik you’d enjoy

• Chelsea

February 24th 2013 at 9:20 pm

Also, your blog redesign looks so good, really pro

• Becki

February 25th 2013 at 2:30 pm

Since Christmas i have been eating more quorn, though i am not vegetarian . it defiantly gives you more options if you aren’t a big meat eater!

• Kate

February 25th 2013 at 8:40 pm

Oooh, sounds divine! Anything mustardy gets my tastebuds tingling & this recipe is perfect as I’m trying to get back onto some more veggie-based stuff. Bravo, Katie!

• Sian

February 26th 2013 at 6:32 pm

Just wanted to say I made this yesterday since I happened to have all the ingredients, and it was an awesome mid-week meal, really tasty. Thanks for the inspiration!

February 26th 2013 at 6:41 pm

Fantastic! I love when you already have everything you need for a meal in the house. Thanks for letting me know you liked it!