Me Made May

April 29th 2013katie

memade

I’ve signed up Me Made May! I heard about it via a lot of the sewing blogs I follow and it seemed a great way to encourage myself to continue with my fledging sewing hobby. The idea is to set yourself a handmade challenge and spend the month of May fulfilling it. It’s a fairly open brief and you can choose a challenge that suits you – whether it’s just mending some old items of clothing so you can use them again, pledging to wear something homemade every day, or using up your fabric stash. The premise is to get people thinking about the clothes they own, wear and make, which seems particularly pertinent given the sad news from Bangladesh last week, and ongoing issues with high street supply chains. Have a look at the full rundown here.

P5010375

What’s my challenge? I’ve bought these three lovely fabrics recently – a heavy grey jersey, a lighter pink-marl jersey and some cotton chambray – and I want to use them to make three everyday wearable pieces. I’m also going to try not to buy any new store-bought clothes all month and have a wardrobe clearout, too.

ScoutWovenTee

I already have plans: the chambray will become a Scout, but I plan to add a dipped hem, rolled-back sleeves and perhaps a chest pocket like this Marc Jacobs tee. Man, I can’t just leave a pattern alone.

topshop

With the jersey I want to try replicating a couple of my favourite pieces from my wardrobe that I wear to death: this Topshop jersey dress and slouchy dip-hem top. I’m not sure yet whether to use a pattern, or draft my own based on tracing the garments.

Head over here if you fancy taking the pledge yourself, and I’ll keep blogging my progress.

• Kate @ M is for make

April 29th 2013 at 1:32 pm

It definitely feels like the weather to start making clothes, I have finally stopped thinking about quilts and more about dresses. One word of caution on tracing a pattern based on a garment, I’ve found it really hard to get it quite right, especially the sleeves which are tricky. I would try and find a pattern that is similar and you can adjust/customise. The Colette Laurel would be a good one to play with maybe?

• Victoria

April 29th 2013 at 1:55 pm

Thanks for the reminder! I’ve been meaning to get the sewing machine out for a while now – somehow I’m always more inspired to make summer clothes than winter ones, and Me Made May will be a perfect motivation… There’s a modified Scout tee on my to-sew list, too! Where did you find your lovely fabrics?

April 29th 2013 at 5:52 pm

I agree summer clothes are more fun! Fabrics are from http://www.minervacrafts.com and http://www.tissufabrics.co.uk

1. Victoria

May 2nd 2013 at 10:06 am

Lovely, thanks! Technically I’m on a craft-supplies fast at the moment as I’m trying to whittle down an unreasonably huge stash… It’s meant to motivate me to sew more, so I can use it all up and buy in new!

• reWOLLuzza

April 29th 2013 at 4:20 pm

Oooh, I love that jersey dress… I’ll be stalking to see how you decide to make it (and maybe get the same pattern if you choose one to modify) – I need to get sewing again. :-)

• mabelmakes

April 29th 2013 at 10:23 pm

Your ideas are lovely! I’m taking part in Me Made May this year also. It’ll be my first year taking part. After following various blogs taking part over the last couple of year, I decided it was time I took part myself. Good luck with your makes! I have a few things I’d like to get done in the month too. I’ve made too many dressy things so far and need more casual wear :)

April 30th 2013 at 10:40 am

Thanks Stephanie! Love your blog and past makes, I’ll be following your MMM updates.

• Kathryn

April 30th 2013 at 9:16 am

Definitely recommend the Sew U Home Stretch book as an amazing base for jersey patterns. It comes with patterns for a raglan top, a basic jersey top, and a dress, which you can make into pretty much anything. Love the idea of your Scout/Marc Jacobs tee!

April 30th 2013 at 10:39 am

Ooh thanks, sounds perfect, I’m going to buy it!

• Katie

May 1st 2013 at 12:56 am

Hi Katie! I am Katie. Are you my internet soul mate? I THINK SO. <3

May 1st 2013 at 12:28 pm

Ooh, you’re a letterpresser? Awesome!

• Jen

May 1st 2013 at 12:19 pm

Do you have an overlocker? I’m thinking about investing. If you do, do you also have a sewing machine, or just use the single stitch on the overlocker?

May 1st 2013 at 12:27 pm

I have both, I would struggle with just the overlocker I think – I switch back and forth to do topstitching etc on my normal machine.

1. Jen

May 2nd 2013 at 10:26 am

Interesting, thanks.

I’ll be on maternity leave from tomorrow, so I hope to get started on some baby items this month before sprog arrives at the end of the month. I will join you in the challenge!

• mq