Plots & plans

April 7th 2013katie

P4090295

With holidays over, we’re planning a few tweaks and improvements round the house at the moment.

P4090296-copy

We’ve been planning to paint the chimney breast a darker shade of grey for ages, and I think we’ve found a good grey (Little Greene’s Lead). I think the Photoshop mockup shows it will look pretty cool, and draw even more attention to the pretty fireplace.

We also need some new curtains made, as the current ones are too flimsy and I don’t really like the pattern any more. I really love the grey arrows fabric above right (from Spoonflower) but just weeping over the expense at 9 yards of it plus insulating lining right now.

P4090298

This space is really bugging me at the moment. We’ve got quite a narrow walk-through past the kitchen breakfast bar to get into the living room, and at the moment it’s basically a dumping ground for coats, the hoover, recycling bags and so on. I’d like to make better use of it, and it would be useful to have a ledge of some sort there for dumping keys and post, but it can’t stick out too far or it will get constantly knocked. There’s also an ugly radiator in the way! Thinking a kitchen island/trolley of some sort but haven’t found any thin enough (sub-40cm). Any ideas?

I also want to paint the bit of wall on the left as you walk in (behind the bin) in a chalkboard paint, but can’t decide whether to go right up to the ceiling or cut it off where doorway ends.

P4090301

Finally, a quicker win. I found these adorable push pins in Paperchase so I want to decorate an old corkboard to match them. I’ll either just paint it or cover it in a cute fabric.

• Jay

April 7th 2013 at 12:54 pm

Hey,

Loving the PS mockups.
    Have you thought about a console table for the storage?
    As a guide, the Ikea ones are ~37-40cm deep – http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/categories/departments/dining/16246/

Jay

• James

April 7th 2013 at 1:33 pm

You’re lucky to be finessing your home in such fine detail! It looks great.

Sub 40cm storage… tricky with that radiator… wonder if some kind of combination of http://www.string.se/ ladders/shelves could work around it?

April 7th 2013 at 2:48 pm

Thank you. Very nice to be on the home straight with it all!

I was thinking more Strings (have a set already), a long 2×2 arrangement could work well.

• Paul S

April 7th 2013 at 2:14 pm

How about a radiator cover which will cover the ugly radiator and give you a bit of a ledge at least? If you made one yourself (MDF for the win!) you could even make it a bit deeper.

April 7th 2013 at 2:51 pm

Not a bad idea at all! Might do a few sketches and see if it could work.

• Lara

April 7th 2013 at 3:10 pm

oooh, i love the grey. It really draws the eye nicely into the fireplace and I also love the yellow curtains but yikes isn’t curtaining expensive!

April 7th 2013 at 3:25 pm

Tell me about it! My mum can make them for us, but even so just buying enough fabric for that giant window will be well over £100 :(

• grania @ crumbsfordinner

April 7th 2013 at 6:21 pm

why don’t you get a radiator box? they can look really pretty, and it also doubles up as an extra ledge! something like this could work: http://3d-land.net/3D_model/radiator_box_classic.html

• Jade

April 7th 2013 at 6:46 pm

I went to Ikea yesterday and saw a great kitchen cart on wheels that I’m contemplating getting for my problem space where I do the dumping – I figure the vacuum can sit on the bottom and I can always tidy it up if I need to actually use it in the kitchen!

I just noticed you and I share a yellow owl! Mine lives underneath my TV, really brightens up his little spot on the cabinet!

• Kathryn

April 7th 2013 at 10:54 pm

WHat about a small faudenza like Anna from Door Sixteen or Max from Manhattan nest have done? Those Ikea cabinets are 37cm.

Personally I would go without the curtains if your flat is not too cold, I think the fact that you have to cut them above the radiator is a bit awkward looking. A patterned blind or even just a plain white blackout blind for warmth could be a very clean look. Otherwise, I wonder if you could block print the arrow pattern on dyed grey cheaper cotton?

April 7th 2013 at 10:59 pm

We definitely need curtains as that window is sooo draughty, I think I’ll make the next ones longer to tuck behind the radiator to conserve even more heat. Great idea printing my own fabric to save some cash! I’ll look out for some plain grey.

• Jane

April 8th 2013 at 7:58 am

This is a lovely trolley from Normann Copenhagen at 35cm depth…

It comes in light and dark grey too although I am swooning over the mint.

Of course it is a pretty penny so would be a bit of a saver! Although I think sometimes their stuff pops up on Fab now and again so keep an eye on it!

• Laura

April 8th 2013 at 5:41 pm

Love your interiors posts!
    What colour is your living room now? Am looking for something similar. Laura

April 9th 2013 at 1:41 pm

Thank you. I can’t remember the shade I’m afraid, it was one of those custom mixed trade ones!

2. Elle

April 12th 2013 at 12:43 am

Darn – I came to ask the same thing! Such a lovely shade but so hard to find…

April 12th 2013 at 11:10 am

Haha, sorry! I think Farrow & Ball’s Cornforth White looks a little similar, or Little Greene’s Gauze.

• Leila

April 8th 2013 at 9:46 pm

Love the blog, have been reading it for a while now. I had the same problem with the hideous expense of curtains or fabric, so I got two giant cotton canvas dustsheets and I’m planning to paint them myself. I got them from Tarpaflex’s online shop and they were £27 inc P&P and mine are for a big bay window so are 3m x 4m each, but you can get smaller ones. Also they are hemmed already so you don’t need to do too much sewing. Ikea do really cheap curtain tape and plain cotton lining (I think it’s about £1.75 per metre), and the canvas is really thick anyway, I’m just putting in the linings on mine for extra draught-excluding properties.

April 9th 2013 at 4:42 pm

Thanks Leila. Top tips – I’m going to look out for some cheap plain grey which I can decorate myself.

• Lisa

April 14th 2013 at 8:20 pm

Hi Katie,
    Theres a great place in finchley called the curtain factory warehouse. Most fabrics are £6.99 a metre. You can bring a swatch from John lewis/liberty etc and they will source the fabric from the supplier with a discount.u going to Lynnes meet up on the 14th. It would be great to catch up…
    Lisa (formely of Meoldchina – new project in progress!)

April 14th 2013 at 8:45 pm

Thanks Lisa, that place sounds ace i will have to visit…

Hope to make it to Lynne’s, it’s such a long journey from NE to SW though!

1. Lisa

April 15th 2013 at 10:59 pm

Yes I know. Me too. But I need some inspiration, get out of my comfort zone!

• tinne

April 27th 2013 at 9:03 pm

I spotted this locker in ikea last week (http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/60250798/)
    not sure if that’s the kind of thing you were thinking of but it’s 40 cm deep so it fits that requirement at least :)
    the colour was quite nice as well, a soft blue.
    ps: that darker shade of grey on your chimney looks amazing!

• Gemma

November 13th 2013 at 12:03 pm

It looks great. Can I ask where those cream lampshades are from please?

• Kate

June 10th 2014 at 11:08 am

Love your page and am thinking of getting one myself to sit alongside my little business that I want to start, painted furniture, handmade bunting and cushions etc.
    We have a small hallway and have a radiator cabinet in it, we have a little lamp on it, a mirror above it and its our place for keys etc. very handy. good luck!