Me-Made May: Chambray Scout tee

May 4th 2013katie

Scout chambray tee

Not a week into the month and my first Me-Made May task is complete. And I’m calling it a success! Here’s my Marc-Jacobs-inspired woven chambray tee, made in just a day and happily worn already.

Scout chambray tee

It feels almost like I cheated since this make was such a breeze. The Scout tee pattern I used is so simple that the cutting and sewing took about four hours total. Of course I still managed to mess up a bit: I sewed on one of the sleeves is inside out so there’s an exposed seam tucked under the arm. I coud fix it, but no one realistically will see it and I almost like keeping it there as an ‘I made this!’ Easter egg.

Scout chambray tee
Scout chambray tee

One of my favourite things about making my own clothes is adding the little details that make your garment totally unique – purposeful decisions as well as inside-out sleeves, I mean. Want longer turned-back cuffs, a curved hem, denim-style topstitched seams, a comedically large patch pocket? Do it! With such as simple pattern it’s a nice chance to go a bit mad with embellishments.

Scout chambray tee

Mistakes aside, this is definitely my most successful handmade garment so far. I did all of the seams on my overlocker which gives it a lovely finish on the inside as well as allaying my fear that it’ll fall apart in the wash. I’m really happy with the fabric choice too: the chambray is light and soft with good drape and a little comfy stretch. I went a size up for an oversized look and it’s much more forgiving in the fit department that way too. I’ll definitely be using the Scout pattern again: I have visions of one in this nutty cat print fabric.

Scout chambray tee

So that’s the first Me-Made May task down, keep ’em coming! Next? I’ve just ordered the Sew U book about stretch fabrics on Kathryn‘s recommendation to give me ideas for my jersey fabrics. As a brucey bonus, I have almost a yard of this chambray left which I might just be able to squeeze a little skater skirt out of too.

Pattern: Scout woven tee from Grainline
Pattern modifications: Lengthened sleeves and added turned-back cuff. Lengthened body. Curved hemline. Patch pocket.
Fabric: Pale blue Chambray from Minerva Crafts (bought 2yds, plenty left over)

memade

• Kathryn

May 4th 2013 at 10:31 pm

Wow, nice job! This is gorgeous. I really like the oversized look, might steal that. I’ve only made a Scout once and my fabric wasn’t drapey enough at all. Had no idea Minerva Crafts sold chambray, good find!

• Elise

May 5th 2013 at 12:09 am

This top is great, wonderfully versatile :)

May 5th 2013 at 10:46 am

Such a great make. Think it is pretty close to that Marc Jacobs one but I bet there is a lot more satisfaction in wearing it with the knowledge that you made it yourself.

• Charlotte

May 5th 2013 at 11:18 am

Erm, I’m sorry, you made this in a DAY? That’s amazing! It looks like something I’d buy and it really suits you (liking the cat accessory too)

• Andrea

May 5th 2013 at 6:27 pm

This is so cute. I love the details of this shirt, including the cuffs and oversized pocket. I don’t have this pattern yet but I may just steal your ideas to make my own :):)

• Diane

May 6th 2013 at 2:48 am

Looks great Katie! I love the curved bottom hem. I had wondered about buying this pattern, and now I think I’m sold on it!

• Kat

May 17th 2013 at 9:56 am

I really love this one, Katie. Well done. :D

• Marina

June 27th 2013 at 4:59 am

I love this! How did you alter the pattern to do the sleeves that way? Did you straighten out the curve at the sleeve hem? Did you just fold them up and stitch?

June 27th 2013 at 4:28 pm

Thanks! Yes I lengthened and straightened the sleeve pattern piece, then cut two more pieces the same length as the edge of the sleeve and a few inches wide. Folded that in half lengthwise and topstitched, then sewed it onto the sleeve edge with the seam on the *outside* so when it’s turned back it’s hidden. Hope that makes sense!

• the soft science