Room tour: bedroom

May 19th 2013katie

Bedroom

Well we had a pretty intense weekend with a very long to-do list of house tasks: mostly involving cleaning, removing and assembling stuff. But there was definite light at the end of the tunnel by Sunday evening, and the best part was finally finishing off the bedroom. It’s been a long time coming… soon after moving in we wallpapered and painted the walls, bought some cheap curtains and put in a fitted wardrobe, but it was full of old mismatched furniture from our previous rentals and needed tying together. After this weekend – nearly three years after moving it – I’m calling it done! And I love the result. Let’s take a tour…

Bedroom

Here’s the view from the door. The bed is the Lansdowne from Made.com which I’ve been very pleased with – it’s super comfy and sturdily constructed and I love the padded headboard for reading. The reading spotlights were supposed to be wired in but our wall wasn’t suitable so we had them adapted to be plugged with a coloured flex. I got two sets of Orla Kiely stem-print bedding while it was on sale at Achica. The wallpaper is Cole & Sons ‘Trees’.

Bedroom

We were going to get a custom bookcase built to fit this annoying sticky-out bit of wall, but then found this John Lewis one that was the perfect width to fit. I built and installed it single-handed on Sunday morning, then tried – and got bored – colour-coding our books.

Bedroom

View from the far corner by the window. Like the living room we’ve got a lot of mid-century style wooden furniture in here. It took quite a long time to source each one and get a set that sort-of matches and suits our storage needs. The latest addition is this adorable sideboard from Hopper and Space.

Bedroom

Hello mirror-me! The dresser by the window serves as my vanity area and storage for more books.

Bedroom

This room’s a little lighter on the art and clutter than the rest of the flat – for now anyway. I’m not really sold on this wall config, but I love both my Kozyndan bunny prints and the vintage letterpress sketches, and it’s a big wall to fill. Maybe I’ll put all four bunnies along here and the letters above the bed.

Bedroom

There’s a touch of vintage pottery and indoor planting going on in here too. The pussywillow branches and aloe vera are from Columbia Road market – a treat on Sunday afternoon after the hard work. Pro tip: get there around 4pm as the traders are packing up and you’ll get a bargain.

Bedroom

Our coats and laundry are tucked away behind the door. We got the big fitted wardrobe built across the back wall a little while ago. It’s not exactly beautiful, but it stores a hell of a lot of stuff – all of our clothes, spare bed linen, suitcases etc. Debating switching the handles and maybe adding some kind of decal to the doors to make it a bit prettier.

Bedroom

I think this means it comes cat-approved. He pleasingly fits the colour scheme, too.

Stockists

Wallpaper: Cole & Son ‘Trees’
Paint: Dulux ‘Egyptian Cotton’
Wardrobe: Sliderobes doors and custom-made frame
Bed: Made.com
Bedding: Orla Kiely via Achica
Lights: Garden Trading, adapted to be plugged with Fabric Cable flex
Bookcase: John Lewis
Mirror, dresser, pictures, bedside table, vases, pots: secondhand/vintage

• Diane

May 20th 2013 at 2:34 am

Love the new book shelves and that sideboard is gorgeous, especially with the pot plants and vases sitting on top. Also love your wallpaper. It looks like such a cosy room!

• Jennifer | The Make Lounge

May 20th 2013 at 11:14 am

Ooh! You bought the sideboard! Looks great. :)

• Kim

May 20th 2013 at 11:31 am

It looks great! I really like the bookcase you ended up with. Much nicer than the Billy.

• Roisin

May 20th 2013 at 3:23 pm

Do you own this place? How did you manage to buy a place like this in your twenties (if you don’t mind me asking)? It’s basically my dream! I especially love the headboard on the bed and the dresser!

May 20th 2013 at 4:03 pm

Hi Roisin, thank you and yes I do own it (with my boyfriend). We both saved for 6 years after university and also generously had help from both sets of parents. And it was a bit of a doer-upper so we saved a bit of cash there. It’s basically where all my money goes these days!

• Angel Y.

May 20th 2013 at 4:05 pm

I adore everything! Your bookcase was a great choice for sure. I love how the different textiles and textures all tie in together. Thank you for sharing!

• Hannah

May 20th 2013 at 7:35 pm

That wall paper is beautiful!! Gorgeous room.

Ramblings Of Hannah

xx

• Jade

May 21st 2013 at 8:20 pm

It all comes together so beautifully! Our bedroom is tiny, so by the time I built the bed and dresser, it was jam packed. Not a lot of room for knick knacks or natural light like you’ve got here!

• Kathryn

May 22nd 2013 at 8:47 pm

This is stunning. Congrats on all your hard work, its such a lovely feeling when it all pays off and comes together and you can sit back and admire. Particularly love the colour coded books – v. cute.

• Sarah

May 24th 2013 at 2:30 pm

I am completely amazed and envious about how little storage you seem to need for CLOTHES in your bedroom – as you can see from the little visit What’s In Your Bedroom made to my flat (here http://whatsinyourbedroom.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/sarah-m-gaggle-se-london.html), it’s all I have space for in mine! I would be really interested to hear about who made your custom wardrobe frame as it’s my next big thing to get done in our place and I think it would be a great use of the little space we have. Since we’ve moved in I’ve just been making-do with Ikea furniture and flimsy rail. If you could email me about it or just reply here I’d be eternally grateful – I love getting a recommendation from someone I trust.

Also, I’m writing this on the day that Yoni is really sick and just to say I’m thinking of you all!

May 25th 2013 at 1:01 pm

You can’t see in the pics but it’a a biiiiig triple wardrobe, so we each get a side for clothing (there’s two rails on top of each other in each end), and there’s a section in the middle with shelves and drawers. Then I have my socks and stuff in the sideboard’s drawers, and my shoes and out of season stuff is under the bed! So it all fits somehow.

I can’t particularly recommend my carpenter or sliderobes (where we got the glass doors) as I’m not 100% happy with the finish, but any good carpenter should be able to make the frame for you – try to get a local recommendation.

Thanks for the cat love, he’s still not out of danger unfortunately :(