DIY Christmas mantel and cards

December 9th 2013katie

Christmas mantel

We didn’t get a tree this year – even a baby one in the garden centre was £30 and we really don’t have the space. So instead I just bought a couple of large fir branches (£2.50 each), popped them on the fireplace and adorned them with lights and baubles. I think it looks just as pretty and festive as a whole tree!

Christmas mantel

I got the little horse and sausage dog from Jonathan Adler in the sale earlier this year – they are actually supposed to be Christmas tree ornaments but I keep them up all year.

Christmas mantel

Muji candles are my favourite: they cost like £3 each and smell gorgeous.

Christmas mantel

I found the berry twigs on the pavement after someone had cut their bushes – free decorations for the win.

Christmas mantel
Christmas mantel
The cotton and pussywillow are there year-round but I stuck some baubles on them too.

Christmas mantel
Christmas mantel
Christmas mantel

I made my cards this year using my loaned Cricut machine (first blogged here). There are tons of pretty Christmassy designs available so I picked out these ones and simply stuck them onto decorative paper (leftover wrap and some Japanese washi paper). Super quick but effective.

• Sarah

December 9th 2013 at 5:23 pm

This is sooo pretty – I love the way you’ve stacked the vintage boxes. I agree, Muji candles are the best, epecially the one that smells like a log fire :)

• Bailie @ The Hemborg Wife

December 9th 2013 at 9:33 pm

These is a really nice serene mantle and your horse looks like a Swedish Dala Horse!

• Monica

December 10th 2013 at 12:30 am

The Cricut machines are amazing for card making! your cards turned out so well. Who needs a tree when you’ve got a gorgeous mantle to look at?!

M.

• Kim

December 10th 2013 at 6:47 pm

Looks lovely!

Very handy finding the berry twig cuttings too, ended buying mine from Columbia Road…

• Jess

December 11th 2013 at 9:57 am

The baubled branches are a super idea. There is something very pleasing about teeny tiny shiny things. We don’t gave a mantelpiece in the new place alas, but maybe there’s someone we could lean a few branches. Hmmm…

• Kate

December 27th 2013 at 9:23 pm

Gorgeous pictures, love your decorations x

• Sarah

December 28th 2013 at 2:36 pm

Completely off-topic and somewhat belated, but I just wanted to thank you for posting about the preserves you made for Christmas the year before last! The idea stuck at the back of my mind and I used the same chutney recipe this year – and it tastes so good! Thank you. I hope you’ve had a brilliant holiday this time around as well.