Foxes quilt & my sister’s flat

April 22nd 2014katie

Nat's flat

My sister Natalie moved into her new flat a couple of weeks ago, and an Instagram I took went down well so I thought I’d share a few more photos, along with the housewarming gift I made her. I have house envy to be honest, it’s making me want to move and start over with ours!

Nat's flat

It’s a first floor flat in a low 60s block in East London. It’s light and pretty spacious, and she’s done a brilliant job decorating: it’s very ‘her’, cosy and colourful, but still in keeping with the 60s architecture. The sofa is from Made.com and do you recognise one of my old chairs? I donated it when we got a new armchair.

Nat's flat

My favourite part is the seating area in the long living room. The coffee table is vintage G-plan from Past Caring on Essex Road, and the fluffy round rug is Ikea. She’s got the same ladder shelf from John Lewis as we do in our bedroom.

Nat's flat

On the far wall she used the same Cole & Sons wallpaper as our bedroom too. (She lived with us while the purchase was going through so picked up a few ideas – as well as hand-me-downs!) The beautiful sideboard was another great vintage find from a shop in Finsbury Park.

Nat's flat

She’s quite into foxes, can you tell? They basically informed the ‘orange and wood’ scheme. The print above the sideboard is from East End Prints and the spiral lightshade is from Wilkos.

Fox quilt
Fox quilt
Fox quilt
Fox quilt

For a housewarming/birthday gift I made her this sofa throw/lap quilt, to keep up the fox theme. You can read about all the nerdy construction details if you’re interested over on my sewing blog. We also made that cushion using dashwood studio fabric.

Nat's flat

Luckily the kitchen was modern and in good nick so didn’t need changing. There was a hideous textured glass-panelled wall with an old-fashioned serving hatch dividing the kitchen from the living room which came down, and a breakfast bar went in. The bar was custom cut by Unto This Last and looks great.

Nat's flat

She inherited my old table and chair (Ikea) to use as a desk. The gorgeous light is from Tu at Sainsburys, but seems to be discontinued; the typewriter print is from Paperchase.

Nat's flat

I made this storage cube for her, just by staple-gunning an old hinged-lid box with a layer of padding then flannel fabric from Plush Addict.

Nat's flat

She’s an English grad and works in a London museum, so there’s a literary and London theme throughout. A touch of Penguin book wallpaper in the bedroom!

Nat's flat

This is the before! Scraping off the woodchip was a team effort – it took FOREVER but was definitely worth it. I’m so pleased she’s in and has made such a lovely home. It also means I have my spare room back, so next on the list is sorting out my own study/sewing space.

• Kate

April 22nd 2014 at 3:06 pm

What a lovely sister you are! Mine had to make do with a wilting bunch of daffodils and a bottle of champagne when she moved…
    Great inspo for my current place – woodchip is the devil – definitely worth removing it though – looks great.

Kate xx

1. Carrie

April 25th 2014 at 12:10 pm

Hi, don’t suppose you know where the shelving in the bedroom is from please? Been looking for something narrow just like that!

Carrie x

April 25th 2014 at 12:51 pm

I’m afraid not, it’s really old – she pinched it from my parents’ house!

• Christina

April 22nd 2014 at 6:09 pm

Would you recommend that sofa from Made?

Looks nice but is it comfy? I like to lounge :)

April 22nd 2014 at 6:21 pm

It’s quite firm but definitely comfy! It folds out to a bed, too.

1. Christina

April 23rd 2014 at 9:37 am

Thanks Katie! :)

• Clare Mansell

April 22nd 2014 at 11:14 pm

I basically love everything I see here, but I want to rave about a few things! Firstly the quilt is fabulous and I love your choice of fabric for your foxes faces. Secondly I love 60s flats, I’m sad I have never lived in one. Thirdly I am considering having that tree wallpaper in our bedroom (when it’s built) and it’s great to see it on the wall of your sister’s flat! Is it ok if I have a pin fest?

April 23rd 2014 at 10:39 am

Thanks on all counts! Please pin away!

• domestikate

April 24th 2014 at 5:17 pm

Oh wow, it’s gorgeous! What great taste you both have. And that quilt is stunning, you clever lady!

• April

April 24th 2014 at 9:18 pm

Oh my! I am in love with her place (and that quilt is amazing too). We moved into our place almost 2 years ago and I’ve been dying to redecorate for a while now and this has just inspired me so much! (especially the living area – I love the couch and table).
    Have a lovely weekend!

• Sarah Lawless

May 9th 2014 at 11:00 am

Such an amazing flat! You two have a lot of style.
    Can’t wait to get started with mine and will definitely be roping Nat in to help :)

• HIBS100 Hot Picks – Week Ten | HIBS100

May 12th 2014 at 1:04 pm

[…] love this post from What Katie Does showing us a glimpse into her sister’s flat. The midcentury-esque furniture is just my […]

• 10 WordPress Themes Used by Lifestyle Bloggers | A Prettier Web

June 3rd 2014 at 5:17 pm

[…] from London. She blogs about everything (travel, food, crafts, design…). Check out her sister’s apartment (amazing!). Katie is using a free one-column WordPress theme for her site. Visit What Kate Does / […]

• 10 WordPress Themes for Lifestyle Bloggers – A Prettier Web

August 26th 2015 at 4:58 pm

[…] from London. She blogs about everything (travel, food, crafts, design…). Check out her sister’s apartment (amazing!). Katie has done customizations on the Underscores starter theme made by Automattic (the […]

• Jenny

September 7th 2017 at 9:45 am

I love the colour scheme!