Afternoon tea with Truly

July 8th 2014katie

Tea at The Capital

Picking special presents year after year can be a bit of a pain, especially when you’re like us and have no room left in your flat for any more physical objects! That’s why I love giving and receiving ‘experiences’ instead: dinner, cooking classes, something that you can enjoy and/or learn from rather than accumulating more stuff. So when Truly contacted me I was pretty excited. Their premise is great: you pick from a fantastic range of do-able gifts – especially strong on restaurants and food experiences but there are spa days, city breaks and outdoor activities too. Put in your recipient’s address and they get a lovely smart box in the post with a simple number/email to contact Truly’s concierge and make the reservation. No messing around booking something and hoping they are free on the date (or ruining the surprise by asking), but you can still pick out something personal.

Tea at The Capital

Truly kindly gave me the chance to try one of their experiences out, and I opted for Champagne Afternoon Tea at the Capital Hotel. I invited my wonderful mum along because she’s a little envious of all the nice things Josh and I do in London, so it was great to be able to share something with her. She was delighted to get the box in the post and phoned me immediately to say thank you! She was down in London last weekend so we got the chance to book it up.

Tea at The Capital

The Capital hotel is literally around the corner from Harrods. I’d never ever been in Harrods before, so a nose round the food hall was mandatory (wow, it’s busy in there). Tea is served in a pretty and cosy sitting room – with wallpaper and books lining the walls and a window open to the pleasant day outside it was a lovely place to spend the afternoon. We started with a glass of champagne while browsing the extensive tea menu.

Tea at The Capital

Before long a tiered stand laden with goodies arrived. Delicate finger sandwiches on the bottom and a whole plate of sweet things for each of us – treacle tart, passion fruit tart, lemon sponge, baby trifle and a hibiscus maracon. They were all delicious – the moist sponge and creamy tart especially. If you run out or particularly enjoyed anything, the waiters will gladly restock it for you.

Tea at The Capital

There was only one vegetarian sandwich but I didn’t even think to ask for a replacement; I’m sure they would have switched one of the others for a veggie option if requested. Never mind, more room for cake!

Tea at The Capital

Just when we were reaching peak cake, freshly baked scones arrived with cream and jam. They were so buttery and flaky – my Devon-raised mum approved. You can even pack up anything you don’t eat into takeout boxes.

Tea at The Capital

One happy mum and some serious daughter points for me! This was a great experience and my mum really appreciated it. Truly have this and loads of other luxurious gift experiences on their site including lots of Michelin-starred restaurants like The Square, L’Atelier de Joel Robuchon (which I reviewed here), Hakkasan and La Manoir. Any would do for my birthday present, in case you’re wondering. Thanks, Truly! Anyone else love to give or receive foody gifts?

Truly supplied my afternoon tea experience for review; views are my own

• Beccy

July 8th 2014 at 10:52 am

Gorgeous photos! This looks like a lovely trip – very hungry for afternoon tea now…in the morning!

Beccy

• Louiseq

July 8th 2014 at 11:49 am

Everything looks so wonderfully dainty, what a lovely idea! x

The Little Things

• Victoria

July 8th 2014 at 3:35 pm

That looks delicious. My Mum is also mad on afternoon tea’s. She and my Dad are pretty much working their way through all the hotels and restaurants in Hampshire that do it. She’s very picky on what makes a good cream tea, but I think she’d be impressed by this one. It looks lovely!

Victoria, x victoriachapman.co.uk

July 9th 2014 at 12:01 pm

Sounds like a fun project! The best I’ve had was still in Devon.

• Jennifer Sophie

July 8th 2014 at 11:55 pm

Lovely photos, it all looks so delicious! Taking someone out somewhere is always a great gift idea :) x

• Sally

July 9th 2014 at 10:01 am

Wow, that looks stunning. They seem to have an array of luxury experiences too – totally psyched for that near space experience…

July 9th 2014 at 12:00 pm

Oh my! I missed that one, completely obsessed with the idea of going to space. Better get saving.

1. Chris (TRULY)

July 9th 2014 at 3:54 pm

Sally, believe it or not, there’s solid research out there to suggest a trip into space is more ‘satisfying’ than owning a home. Seems like you’re on the right track!

2. Sally

July 10th 2014 at 10:50 am

Thanks Chris. I can believe that! Though I think I’d probably rather have somewhere to live long term haha…

• Patchwork Harmony

July 9th 2014 at 11:54 am

Wow! That looks like one fab afternoon tea!! Truly sounds great, off to check it out.
    Caroline x

• Louise

July 9th 2014 at 2:05 pm

Oh man, stop it! Living in Indonesia (for now) champagne and scones are hard to come by. My mouth is watering!

• Chris (TRULY)

July 9th 2014 at 3:49 pm

So glad you had a great time, Katie! Looks like your mum was chuffed with this too.

I haven’t been on this experience yet myself, but I can almost taste those scones already… Were they your favourite part?

Chris

• Natalie

July 15th 2014 at 12:15 pm

Obviously I heartily approve of this kind of thing as a gift! I’ve always avoided those “afternoon tea experiences” you see advertised as I think they can be a bit sub-standard but this looks lovely so I’m off to check out the Truly website. (BTW, you really look like your mum!)

July 15th 2014 at 1:13 pm

I agree, I often get a sense you get a reduced experience with those package ones, but with this one the waiter was practically forcing more tea and cake on us the whole time and we were both very happy with the quality.

I do don’t I, more so the older I get! I’m a real mix of both my parents.