Recipe: Winter tomato and bread salad

January 8th 2015katie

Winter panzanella

For me, one thing that’s up there amongst the suckiest things about winter is the lack of tomatoes that actually taste of anything. The only way I’ve found to coax some flavour out of them is to smother them in salt and olive oil and roast them long and slow in the oven. Then they’ll reluctantly relinquish some sweet concentrated flavour, along with delicious umami-rich cooking juices to boot.

Winter panzanella

Panzanella is one of my favourite summer dishes, so I’ve adapted the basic idea to make it a warming winter dish that can get away with flavour-lacking tomatoes. In fact, I reckon it’s even better than summer panzanella – we’ve had it for dinner three times this year already. It’s incredibly easy to put together and rather healthy too.

Winter panzanella
Winter panzanella

I also made use of my new spiralizer (a Christmas gift) to add some greenery in the form of courgettes instead of the summer cucumber. I LOVE the spiralizer, by the way. Far from being a faddy gadget, I’ve already used it loads already since it’s so easy and produces perfect little veggie ribbons that can be cooked in exciting new ways. Any favourite spiralizer recipes to share?

Winter panzanella

The spiralizer cones in handy to slice onions nice and thin too. Don’t be scared of the raw onion – the acid and salt help to soften it and take away the harshness.

Winter panzanella

[amd-zlrecipe-recipe:15]

• Nancy

January 8th 2015 at 3:47 pm

This looks really yummy, have to try this!

January 13th 2015 at 12:30 pm

Let me know if you do!

• Anna International

January 8th 2015 at 4:38 pm

Ooh, big fan of panzanella too from my years in Tuscany, but a winter version sounds brilliant. I’ve also been on the hunt for more recipes with sumac in since I don’t use it enough!
    Love my spiraliser. Possibly best kitchen purchase ever, bar my Japanese knives!

January 13th 2015 at 12:30 pm

I love sumac, it gives such a nice tangy warmth. I love my Japanese knives too!

• Ginger

January 8th 2015 at 5:36 pm

Ooh, thanks for sharing this! I find vegetarian cooking a big chore in the winter, but I’m excited to give this a try!

January 13th 2015 at 12:30 pm

Hope you like it! Roasted and charred is definitely a good way to go in winter.

• Sarah

January 9th 2015 at 5:35 pm

I whipped this up last night and absolutely loved it!!! It’ll definitely be a frequent repeat in my house. Thank you for sharing!

January 13th 2015 at 12:29 pm

Oh I’m so pleased you liked it! It’s a regular for us, too.

• nicki

January 10th 2015 at 12:28 pm

Panzanella is one of our fave summer dishes. I also do a spring version but have never tried a winter one, this looks yummy! I have been toying with the idea of getting a spiralizer, they look so fun!

January 13th 2015 at 12:29 pm

They are definitely fun, genuinely useful too!

• Cate

January 19th 2015 at 6:20 pm

This looks delish! I got a spiralizer for Christmas too, I need to find some courgette recipes too, other than just bunging it into a stir fry. x

• April

January 27th 2015 at 5:26 pm

This looks so delicious! I’ve always wanted to try make a Panzanella, but never actually made one. This looks like such a nice wintery version.
    I’ve been wanting to get a spiraliser for ages now, but I though it would just be a one off gadget that I’d use and forget about. You’ve restored my faith in it haha!
    Have a great week!
    xo April

• Mandy

January 30th 2015 at 11:53 am

Hi Katie, i just found your blog, love it and bookmarked it right away! :) if you don’t Mind me asking: what kind of camera and lenses do you use?

Have a lovely friday!
    Mandy

February 10th 2015 at 3:53 pm

Hi Mandy, thanks! I use an Olympus E-M5 and usually use a Panasonic 20mm lens. You can read more about it here: http://www.whatkatiedoes.net/2012/09/olympus-om-d-review.html